Friday, January 27, 2012

Failed again.

I knew the glucose test was going to be especially fun when I woke up at 2 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep until 4 am.  Because the only thing better than getting up at 6 to get blood drawn (repeatedly) is to do it on not enough sleep!

Anyway, I had forgotten how sweet the 3 hour stuff is.  The 1 hour stuff tastes like flat soda to me, so I have no problem drinking it.  The 3 hour stuff, on the other hand?  Is like drinking sno-cone syrup.  It was so sweet I felt like it should have been thicker.  But I got it down and the blood draws commenced.  I have about one good vein, so it's bruised all to hell (even though the nurse who did the 3rd blood draw managed to get a different vein.)

If you don't know how a 3 hour glucose test works, here are the basics.  You go in fasting 10-12 hours (hence first thing in the AM.)  They draw blood to check fasting sugar levels, then you drink the nasty sugar drink and then wait.  They draw blood again after 1, 2, and 3, hours.

At the last blood draw the nurse asked me if I wanted to know the numbers and OF COURSE I did.  Obviously she couldn't give me the number for the blood she'd just taken, but I figured if the others were good I'd be fine.  Here's what I learned:

Acceptable Numbers                   My numbers
Fasting: less than 95 (mg/dL)      83 (mg/dL) perfectly fine
1 hour:  less than 180                  255 Not okay
2 hour:  less than 155                  217 Not even okay for the 1 hour reading- HA HA HA.
3 hour:  less than 140                  Well they didn't have it yet, but considering the other ones I'm gonna guess IT DOESN'T MATTER.

So yes, it's welcome to gestational diabetes for me.  *sigh*


  1. What? That's insane. But what does that even mean? Stay away from sugar? That sucks.

  2. That stinks! I'm so sorry, Elsha. :(

  3. Oh bummer! Sorry to hear Elsha!

  4. I think my numbers were, the 3 hour was fine, but TOO LATE. For me breakfast was the hardest, so I ended up making these cottage cheese muffins a lot and just keeping them in the fridge to grab in the morning. (I used roasted red peppers instead of sun-dried tomatoes.) (Eating cheese for breakfast is not so bad.)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.